Monday, November 22, 2010

Drawn to the Father

So I have still been reflecting upon the parable of the prodigal son. Recently I have been contemplating what led the son to return to his father. What about the father's character drew the lost son back home? Am I growing more into the type of person who draws people to God as the father in the parable did, or am I still more like the other brother? I can not help but think as well about two references to drawing in the New Testament that come to mind.

The first is in John 6:44. Jesus is speaking with the crowds after feeding the five thousand and they are asking for a sign. It always confounds me how the crowds could be so enthralled with Jesus one minute and so stupid the next minute. They are quick to point out that manna had been provided for the Israelites while they wandered in the desert. Yet, being just as blind to the works of God as their fathers, they fail to recognise what had been done already. Their fathers had rejected the manna and they would all too soon reject the real bread of heaven.

There seems to be a general presumption here of pride and entitlement. Show me and I will believe. Do something for me and I will follow. Yet in both cases of the Jews in the desert and the crowd present with Christ, they fail to see that something has already been done. The provision has been made.

It is interesting at this point to return to the parable of the prodigal son and see what it was that drew the son back.
"But when he came to himself, he said, 'How many of my father's hired servants have more than enough bread, but I perish here with hunger!"
Luke 15:17

Here we have Jesus telling us once again that the provision of bread is sufficient. The prodigal son was drawn back because the father had provided. Notice that the son did not have any grand thoughts of himself or any sense of entitlement. Maybe my father will allow me to be treated as a lowly servant. This is quite the humble approach compared to "show me a sign".

And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself."
(John 12:32)

Here we have the second occurrence of the term drawing that I wanted to look at. Here it is Jesus, as an extension of the will of the Father, that is doing the drawing. What amazes me about this passage is the simplicity and the depth of it at the same time. One can easily relate this passage to John 3:14. Jesus must be lifted up. Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert (Numbers 21:8-9) and in doing so provided a way for the sting of death to be removed, so the Son of Man would place Himself on the pole to remove the sting permanently for those that would turn and look upon Him.

Why was the bronze snake necessary? The Jews had rejected the manna and because of their rejection (of God ultimately), judgment had fallen upon them. Even while they had rejected Him, God had provided a way. So it was then, so it is now. God has provided a way.

For many, they will still look to the heavens and say "show me a sign". This is not the way. The way is found in humbling yourself and trusting in the one who has provided. Much like the son on the road, we must turn and come to our senses and see what has already been provided and trust that the Father will allow us to serve in His household. Perhaps He will even meet us partway on the road and clothe us in the best robe.

It is here that I must look at what I am doing to be more like the father in the parable. Am I providing for others? Am I showing mercy even when none is deserved? I am afraid when I look at my own life I see more accuser than Father. This needs to change.

No comments: