Monday, June 22, 2009

Can you Hear Him Now?

1 Kings 19:11 ...Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. Then a voice said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

I love going to youth camp every year. It is truly a time of refreshment where we draw nearer to God. We engage in Biblical practices that are designed to draw us close to God and I love the way the students respond to His Glory. One of my favorite memories from camp this year was the quiet time that I had with several of the adult leaders and students each morning. I took this time to focus on the message for the day and how to best relay it to the students in a manner that they could understand.

As I return to work from camp, I can't help but think about the above passage. Am I going to only look for God in the disasters of life or am I going to be constantly listening for the gentle whisper to guide me from day to day? Don't get me wrong- His presence was there throughout all of the activities that we did at camp. I just want to make sure that I continue to listen every day when there are no earthquakes and no fires.

My prayer for you is that you can incoporate what you learned at camp into your daily life. Spend time reading His Word. Meditate on it. Study it to understand the full meaning. Fellowship with your brothers and sisters in Christ- let us not give up meeting together as some are in the habit of doing. Spend time daily in worship of the King and be rewarded with the gentle whispers that prod us on toward the glory to which we have been called.

Hopefully six months from now, you will be able to answer that yes; you can still hear Him now.

Peace, Bruce

2 comments:

Together We Save said...

Love your blog. Youth camp was always so much fun.

Bill said...

Amen, Bruce! Love that scripture!

God bless you!