Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Problem of Evil- Part One

Romans 8:12Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation—but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. 13For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, 14because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." 16The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. 17Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

I am not the best father in the world. In many ways I fall short. I often lose my temper or fail to discipline my children as I should. I sometimes take comfort in the fact that I do better than some other fathers, but this simply won't do. I feel that I have an obligation as a father to model my theology of The Father when I am parenting. I fall short in this as well.


This was brought home to me this past week. I have a friend who left his father's house. We took him in for a few days while he resolved his issues at home. End result was his father took him back in, but during the time he was at our house, I could not help but question this man's ability to be a father. Even though I am not privy to all of the things that have influenced this father's decision to allow his son to be homeless. Nor was I privy to whether the father even wanted that to happen.


I am lucky today that I can see my own hypocrisy. I have met so many people that have questioned God because of suffering or evil in the world. I have dismissed their complaints upon many occasions without seeing the true issue here. They are not privy to the reasons that the Father has allowed this to happen.


The Father could have destroyed evil and I believe that one day He will. However, if He were to destroy it today, what would become of me (and you if you are honest)? Does evil not reside in my heart as well? If true justice were served would I not suffer the same fate as those that I deem to be "worse" sinners than myself? But if the Father hates evil, why does He allow it to continue? You see, that question is the real key and the only one that matters.


There seems to be an assumption that somehow those that do real evil will somehow get away with it. That God is somehow turning a blind eye to deceit and disobedience. This is simply not the case. You see, true destruction of evil would result in there being none of us left. For all of us have sinned and fallen short of God's plan for perfection. But none will "get away with it". There is a price to be paid for all sin and evil. The question before you is are you willing to pay that price yourself?

1 comment:

Dave Snyder said...

Amen! Bruce, I admire your humility and honesty. I think you are an incredible father, and one of my closest friends. Be encouraged today. I praise God that sin was crushed on the cross and that through the suffering of the Son, we have redemption, and life in the Father.