Thursday, December 18, 2008

Meekness anyone?

Matthew 5:1Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2and he began to teach them saying:
3"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
5Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
7Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
8Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
9Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
10Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

There is a certain progression in the Sermon on the Mount as I am reading it. The first two verses I discussed were more internal on the part of the believer. The believer first recognizes his spiritual poverty before God, or his lack of righteousness. He then contemplates the meaning of this and mourns over the sins that he has committed, others have committed, and that will be committed. We now get to a verse that is more of an external action on the part of the believer. It is a verse that seems to be contradicted in every day life and is the exact opposite of what is expected of you in the secular world.

To get ahead in this life here on earth today, you are expected to be forceful and proud and to toot your own horn. Jesus here is telling us that to be blessed, we need to be the opposite of that. We need to be meek or mild or humble if you will. These are not the qualities that the average employer is looking for. However, I would suggest that there is at least one job that these would be ideal qualifications for:

John 13: 2The evening meal was being served, and the devil had already prompted Judas Iscariot, son of Simon, to betray Jesus. 3Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; 4so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. 5After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

Perhaps the best illustration of meekness is a willingness to serve others. First to serve God, then to serve your neighbors. I remember when I first came to know Christ and before I was born again, that my greatest fear was submitting to God. I did not want to lose my "self" by becoming a follower of Christ. This was part of the reason that it took me a year or so to come to the decision after affirming belief in Him. However, what I did not know then and have realized since, is that I am never more the "me" I was intended to be than when I am serving God and others. What a joy it is to serve!

God does not want half hearted commitment either. If you read the passage in John 13 very carefully you will notice something. Or perhaps it is better phrased by saying you will not notice something. You will not notice it saying "and when Jesus came to Judas, he refused to wash his feet." Jesus washed the feet of the one who betrayed him right along with the rest of the disciples. I do not think I have reached that level of servanthood yet. I do not think my heart would be in the right place if I was serving someone who I knew hated me, but I am still pressing on toward that goal.

I want to close tonight by reflecting on what Jesus says after washing the feet of His disciples:

John 13:12When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. 13"You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. 15I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

Peace, Bruce

No comments: